A new Christmas cocktail is dividing opinion.
Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch mixologist, Jack Sotti, has taken to social media to share a new cocktail infused with Tenderstem broccoli.
Sotti, who is also The Standard Hotel’s Sweeties bar mastermind, was inspired by the olive-infused Dirty Martini, and decided to put his own spin on the green cocktail trend by mixing up a new tipple using Tenderstem broccoli in a video posted on Instagram, in partnership with Tenderstem.
The sweet and nutty ‘Broctail’, which was developed with the brand, has since garnered over 23,000 views and received a mixed response from people in the comments section.
One comment from @jackhawkins.psd said: “Wow! As a vegan this recipe really touches my heart. Amazing work ! #brocnation”. Whilst @pollycheeseman said she is “not sure about this one!”
Another user on Instagram called @kerry_whitten, showed their support for Sotti and told him to “broc n rolllllllll”. But @caitlananderson_ was in dismay and asked: “No wtf!?!? Tenderstem on my Sunday dinner but in my cocktail??!!”
The ‘Broctail’ puts a festive spin on the classic cocktail – the margarita – pairing the tang of tequila with the sweet and nutty flavour profile of Tenderstem broccoli, which is then balanced with citrus, salt, and the aromas of extra virgin olive oil. It shows that going green doesn’t have to mean you are a Grinch this holiday season.
“In the world of mixology, creativity is an integral part of what we do, celebrating new ideas and flavours. I love experimenting with different ingredients to create incredible tasting concoctions to push customers outside of their cocktail comfort zone…and the Tenderstem Broctail does just this,” says Sotti.
“I understand that some people may be a bit sceptical about trying a cocktail made using Tenderstem, but I think they’ll be pleasantly surprised by the sweet and nutty addition to a classic cocktail to enjoy during the festive period. If you can’t shake it up at Christmas, then when can you?”
Sotti explains how you can make your own Broctail, just in time for December drinks.
- 50ml Blanco tequila
- 25ml fresh pressed lime juice
- 20ml 1:1 sugar syrup
- 5ml good extra virgin olive oi
- 4 florets of blanched Tenderstem Broccoli
- 1 pinch of flaky salt
1. Start by prepping your Tenderstem, bring a pot to the boil and blanche for no more than one minute.
2. Quickly remove and crash cool in an ice bath to prevent any further cooking.
3. Pat dry and store in a sealed container with a dry kitchen towel.
4. Into a shaker, add three florets of Tenderstem Broccoli, add your lime juice, sugar syrup, blanco tequila, olive oil and salt.
5. Use a stick blender or blender to break down the broccoli. If you don’t have one, use a muddler or rolling pin to crush the life out of it.
6. Then add lots of ice to a shaker and shake hard for 30 seconds until your hands go numb.
7. Fine strain into a rocks glass with lots of ice and garnish with a blanched Tenderstem floret and a pinch of flaky salt.